CPWC24 CLAIM RESOLUTION, SUBROGATION/CONTRIBUTION
CLAIMS PRACTITIONER IN WORKERS’ COMPENSATION
Workers’ Compensation Origins and Overview
CPWC (Claims Practitioner in Workers’ Compensation) is a 24 unit certification program developed to meet the needs of emerging claims practitioners. This program offers comprehensive training in foundation principles required to become a certified California WC Claims Adjuster and provides the required 120 classroom hours. Presented at a practical desk level, this curriculum includes learning tools such as case studies and soft skills along with technical information. Components of the CPWC will also help fulfill certification requirements for California WC Medical Review or Medical Only adjusters.
Module 24 – Claim Resolution, Subrogation/Contribution
In this final module, we will look at the common modes of the WC claim resolution by agreement and by trial and appeal. Practically, we will look at the forms used at the WCAB for resolution by Compromise and Release as well as Stipulations with request for Award and how to prepare these forms for submission to the WCAB. We will also look at circumstances in which additional legal action is required, including contribution from codefendant employer’s and/or subrogation against legally liable third parties are necessary.
Lecture Topics Covered
- Common modes of Resolution
- Stipulations with Request for Award
- Findings and Awards/Orders
- WCAB Reconsideration
- Appellate Court
- Supreme Court
- Civil Suits against Third Parties
- Civil Suits against Co-Employees
- Civil Suits against Employer
Who should attend.
- Indemnity Workers’ Compensation Claims Adjusters
- Medical Bill Review Adjustors
- Medical Only Claims Adjustors
- TPA / Self Insured Claims Personnel
- HR Professionals
- Safety and Risk Management Professionals
- Agent/Broker Workers’ Compensation Claims Staff
Difference between 3 & 5 hour versions:
- The Indemnity Track requires the 5 hour version to meet the requirement of 120 hours.
- The 5 hour version includes Case Studies and homework
- All other tracks only require the 3 hour version